PBT Group Careers
Be part of our team of Data Specialists and embark on a career of the future!
Job TitleBI Business Analyst (BIBA)
Employment TypeFull Time
Experience2 to 20 years
Job Published12 January 2023
Job Reference No.3923612053
PBT Group has an opportunity for a Business Intelligence Business Analyst (BIBA). A BI Business Analyst or BIBA has a crucially important role to play, in bridging any gaps between business and IT, to understand how data-driven changes to process, products, services, software and hardware can improve efficiencies and add value for clients.
The Business Intelligence Business Analyst (BIBA) primarily serves as liaison between the end users and BI project team and gathers business requirements. The BIBA is an expert in understanding business objectives, questions, and problems, and at obtaining and presenting data to address the issues. The analyst understands the tools and techniques used to create data results that range from basic queries through multidimensional analyses and data mining, forming new relations and derivations as necessary, and extracting the maximum amount of valid information content from the data. Extensive insight into the business and the data are essential.
The BIBA participates in design of data marts to provide the optimal balance of data availability, format, flexibility, and performance. The BIBA is involved in the end-to-end Data Product Lifecyle, including requirement definition, data analysis, data modelling.
1. Requirement’s definition phase:
- Interview end users to determine requirements for data, reports, analyses, metadata, training, service levels, data quality, and performance
- Help identify and assess potential data sources
- Validate that BI meets requirements and service level agreements
- Coordinate prototype reviews
- Gather prototype feedback
- Document requirements in relevant formats:
- Data Warehouse content requirements
- Data Mart requirements
- Information output requirements
- Information exploitation tool – functional requirements
2. Data Profiling, Feasibility and Scope Definition Phase:
- Analyse business information requirements
- Recommend appropriate scope of requirements and priorities
- Work with production data to validate business requirements
- Map business needs/requirements to subject area model and to logical enterprise model
- Discover dimension hierarchies
- Validate hierarchies with production data
- Define business rules for state detection
3. Design Phase:
- Work with architects to translate requirements into technical specifications
- Discover business transformation rules
- Work with production data to design access structures
- Classify business users by type
- Develop security rules/standards
- Create state transformation models
4. Development Phase:
- On-hand support to development team to accurately interpret requirements and translate into a quality solution.
5. Testing Phase:
- Plan acceptance test (functional and data integrity)
- Execute acceptance test plan internally
- Facilitate user acceptance testing
6. Change Management and Deployment:
- Educate users on warehousing capabilities
- Design training infrastructure
- Define and get agreement with business users on service-level agreements
- Develop training materials
- Write users' guide
- Train BI users
- Assist with definition of support plan
- Interface with process teams regarding business process reengineering
- Assist users in finding the right information
Skills and Experience Required:
At least 3 / 5 years’ experience with a proven track record of delivering Data & Analytics projects through facilitating the Data/Analytics Development Lifecycle.
1. General BA competencies
- Business analysis planning and monitoring
- Requirement’s elicitation
- Requirements management and communication
- Business architecture analysis
- Requirement’s analysis
- Solution assessment and validation
2. BA tools and techniques
- Acceptance and Evaluation Criteria Definition
- Business Rules Analysis
- Data Dictionary and Glossary
- Data Flow Diagrams
- Data Modeling
- Decision Analysis
- Document Analysis
- Focus Groups
- Metrics and Key Performance Indicators
- Non-functional Requirements Analysis
- Organization Modeling
- Problem Tracking
- Process Modeling
- Requirements Workshops
- Risk Analysis
- Scenarios and Use Cases
- Structured Walkthrough
3. Personal skills:
- Strong communication skills.
- Good writing skills.
- Must be able to pay attention to detail.
- Work independently.
- Must be a team player.
- Work on more than one project at a time.
- Strong leadership and people skills (will be required to work closely with all Data & Analytics Guilds and with business users)
4. BI Project related skills:
- Apply BIBA methodology in agile environments
- Strong SQL skills
- Some systems analysis (source-to-target mappings, data profiling)
- Deep knowledge of modern data platforms
- Good general understanding of the relevant industry.
- Substantial business analysis experience in a BI environment.
- A good understanding of business processes.
- Ability to assimilate and apply relevant business principles.
- Be able to work within the framework of project methodologies and work independently on support and maintenance tasks.
Required Qualifications/ Certification:
- Ideally candidates should have an IT or business-related qualification.
- FTI or similar BA qualification will be advantageous.