PBT Group Careers
Be part of our team of Data Specialists and embark on a career of the future!
Job TitleData Engineer
Employment TypeFull Time
Experience3 to 20 years
Job Published02 December 2022
Job Reference No.114142108
To complement the existing cross-functional team, PBT Group is looking for a Data Engineer who will design and implement scalable and robust processes to support the data engineering capability. This role will be responsible for implementing and supporting large-scale data ecosystems across the Group. This thought leader will use best practices in cloud engineering, data management and data storage to continue our drive to optimize the way that data is stored, consumed and ultimately democratized. The incumbent will also collaborate with stakeholders across the organisation with use of the Data Engineering practices to facilitate the improvement in the way that data is stored and consumed.
- Assist in designing and implementing scalable and robust processes for ingesting and transforming complex datasets.
- Designs, develops, constructs, maintains and supports data pipelines for ETL from a multitude of sources.
- Creates blueprints for data management systems to centralize, protect, and maintain data
- Focused on data stewardship and curation, the data engineer enables the data scientist to run their models and analyses to achieve the desired business outcomes
- Ingest large, complex data sets that meet functional and non-functional requirements.
- Enable the business to solve the problem of working with large volumes of data in diverse formats, and in doing so, enable innovative solutions.
- Design and build bulk and delta data lift patterns for optimal extraction, transformation, and loading of data.
- Supports the organisation’s cloud strategy and aligns to the data architecture and governance including the implementation of these data governance practices.
- Engineer data in the appropriate formats for downstream customers, risk and product analytics or enterprise applications.
- Development of API’s for returning data to Enterprise Applications.
- Assist in identifying, designing and implementing robust process improvement activities to drive efficiency and automation for greater scalability. This includes looking at new solutions and new ways of working and being on the forefront of emerging technologies.
- Work with various stakeholders across the organisation to understand data requirements and apply technical knowledge of data management to solve key business problems.
- Provide support in the operational environment with all relevant support teams for data services.
- Provide input into the management of demand across the various data streams and use cases.
- Create and maintain functional requirements and system specifications in support of data architecture and detailed design specifications for current and future designs.
- Support test and deployment of new services and features.
- Provides technical leadership to junior data engineers in the team
ROLE & QUALIFICATIONS REQUIREMENTS
- Matric, with a degree in Computer Science, Business Informatics, Mathematics, Statistics, Physics or Engineering.
- 3+ years of data engineering experience
- 3+ years of experience with any data warehouse technical architectures, ETL/ELT, and reporting/analytics tools including , but not limited to , any of the following combinations: (1) SSIS and SSRS, (2) ETL Frameworks, (3) Data conformance, (4) Caching, (5) Spark (6) AWS data builds
- The candidate having DBA ability and knowledge across at least 2 platforms (example: TSQL, SAS, PSQL, IBM VSAM, DynamoDB and DB2) will also be beneficial.
- Should be at least at a proficient level in at least one of Python, Java, C/C++ or similar
- Should be Proficient in bash/ksh, perl, SQL
- Some experience with R, AWS, XML, json, cron will be beneficial
- Experience with designing and implementing Cloud (AWS) solutions including use of APIs available.
- Some experience with Dev/OPS architecture, implementation and operation would be advantageous.
- Knowledge of Engineering and Operational Excellence using standard methodologies. Best practices in software engineering, data management, data storage, data computing and distributed systems to solve business problems with data.
- Some experience in applying SAFe/Scrum/Kanban methodologies.
- Knowledge and understanding of business process management lifecycle which covers the design, modelling, execution, monitoring, and optimization as well as business process reengineering.
- Good problem solving skills: The ability to exercise judgment in solving technical, operational, and organizational challenges, to identify issues proactively, to present solutions and options leading to resolution
- Good programming, performance tuning and troubleshooting skills, using the latest popular programming languages such as python, scala, java and suite of Microsoft languages C# and F# preferable.
- Collaboration and precise communication
- Establishing and maintaining strong working relationships with stakeholders across all levels
- Strategic thinking
- Leading with Influence
- Innovating and being curious about technology
- Quality in execution and outcomes
- Customer First attitude
- Personal Mastery (Learning)
- Problem Solving
- Data Management
- Working with ambiguity
- Working independently and within a team